Sunday, March 4, 2012

I Don't Anticipate A Problem

"For the Word of the Lord holds true, and we can trust everything He does."
Psalm 33:4

I have had enough surgeries and medical procedures where I have been put to sleep, so I have heard the sppeech many times. I am talking about the speech given to you by the anesthesiologist. They always tell you the same thing. Although they don't anticipate any problems, complications with the medication could cause death.

I love that. Here is a man with 12 years of medical training, who has put people under time and time again, and he doesn't anticipate any problems. As reassuring as the speech is meant to be, I never trust in the promises of human beings. Human beings are fallible and their promises can be easily broken.

Whenever they bring me into the operating room I say to the doctor with the mask, "Please tell me when you are putting me under so I can say a prayer." Usually when I do this I think of a verse of scripture and put myself in God's hands. This last time I used the verse from the above Psalm.

The other day, when I was hearing "the speech,"Before the words came out of the doctor's mouth, I said, "I don't anticipate a problem doctor because I am a Christian." The doctor paused a minute. His thunder was stolen. His words were taken. With nothing else to fall back on, He took the consent form, stuck it under my nose and said, "Sign this!"

I didn't anticipate a problem because I believe in the promises of God's Word. God has a plan for my life and I don't believe that plan has been fully lived out. So I trust myself to God, knowing He will see me through. If he does decide to call me home, then I am ready for that too.

We can live our lives in constant anticipation of problems, or we can trust God's Word and try to live out God's plan to the fullest. There will be ups and downs, but the promise will never be broken. We must learn to live anticipating blessings and believing good things will happen to us. If we do that the only consent we will need to worry about signing is our consent to place ourselves in the hands of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment